1996 - Augie & Dawn get married!
1998 - Augie & Dawn are blessed with their first child!
- Its a Boy!! He is born in November and they name him JaiMichael
They take a group of their high school youth group teens to a summer Youth Conference in Alexandria LA followed by a Catholic Work Camp in New Orleans LA. After returning home and seeing how on fire their teens were, at the request of the teens they searched for a program that would offer their teens the experience of both. After discovering that there was nothing available out there, they prayed about creating something new and exciting!
- After lots of prayers and advice from friends in youth ministry....SHINE Catholic Work Camp is born!
- They decide that SHINE would stand for Serving Him in the Needy and Elderly.
- In order for SHINE to be unique and different, it would have to be something like no other program out there and that it would offer daily mass with lively praise & worship, great service opportunities, Adoration, a helpful and fun staff, lots of fun and games, team buildings activities, high energy music pumped through a concert sound and lighting system, some amazing keynote speakers, delicious homemade meals, awesome multi-media presentations, skits with the "God Squad", nightly youth group prayer, reconciliation and concerts with some of the best Catholic artists out there.
2000 - SHINE has it's first 2 camps!
- Houston TX and Phoenix AZ are the first 2 cities to host SCWC. They get 300 volunteers.
2001 - SHINE adds more cities and a new adition to the family!
- SCWC serves Houston TX, Denver CO, Phoenix AZ & Twin Cities MN.
- Augie & Dawn decide to just do SHINE part time and work full time at the parish.
- They are blessed with their second child Allysa in April of that year.
2002 - SHINE scales back because of newest addition to family.
- SCWC serves Houston TX, Oklahoma City OK & Baltimore MD
- Augie & Dawn decide that maybe they are being called to do mission work full time but are afraid of taking that leap of faith.
- That summer they have their 3rd child Jordan in July.
2003 - Augie & Dawn recieve a sign from God!
- SCWC serves Houston TX, Bunkie LA, Baltimore MD & Chicago IL
- With 3 children and working full time as youth ministers, the ministry of SHINE is starting to take off but at the same time it is starting to take it's toll on them. They decide that they would pray about walking away from SHINE..... but that summer after praying to God in a makeshift chapel at a SHINE camp they recieved a sign that would change their lives. After asking God to reveal to them whether they should continue doing SHINE or walk away, their then 2 yr old daughter picks up a medal of the Holy Family from the floor and hands it to Dawn. It was that simple sign that spoke to them that God wanted them to continue doing SHINE as a family.
2004 - Augie & Dawn leave full time ministry to focus on SHINE
- Augie & Dawn leave the comfort and security of their full time YM job and decide to do SHINE full time.
- SCWC serves Houston TX, Baltimore MD, Zanesville OH & Chicago IL
2005 - SHINE serves the Native Americans
- SCWC serves Houston TX, Corpus Christi TX, Dulce/Lumberton NM, Denver CO, Chicago IL & Cleveland OH.
- SCWC has it's very first camp on the Jicarilla Apache Indian Reservation in Dulce NM
2006 - SHINE goes Extreme!
- SCWC serves Houston TX, Corpus Christi TX, Dulce NM, Memphis TN & Lake Charles LA
- SCWC introduces it's first EXTREME camp to help those affected by natural disasters
- Lake Charles LA is host to the very first SHINE Extreme camp to help those affected by Hurricane Rita
2007 SHINE goes West.
- SCWC serves Dallas TX, Dulce NM, Los Angeles CA, Memphis TN & Lake Charles LA
- Los Angeles is the first west coast city to host SHINE
2008 - SHINE helps Katrina Victims
- SCWC serves St. Louis MO, Memphis TN, Galveston TX, Lake Charles LA, & New Orleans LA
- SCWC brings it's extreme camp to New Orleans LA to help those affected by hurricane Katrina.
2009 - SHINE teams up with LIFE TEEN and helps out the Gulf Coast.
- SCWC serves Memphis TN, Pittsburgh PA, Prescott AZ, Galveston TX
- SHINE is contacted by LIFE TEEN to help put on a week of mission in Prescott AZ as part of their summer camps
- SCWC brings it's Extreme camp to Galveston TX for 3 weeks to help those affected by Hurricane IKE
- Augie & Dawn begin homeschooling their children
- SCWC serves Memphis TN, Hawthorne NJ, Chicago IL, San Antonio TX & Galveston TX
- SCWC serves San Antonio TX, Lake Charles LA, Memphis TN, Baltimore MD, Rochester NY, Chicago IL & Twin Cities MN
2012 - SHINE serves the Joplin MO tornando victims & RISE Jr. High Camp is added.
- SCWC serves Joplin MO, Memphis TN, Chicago IL, Rochester NY and San Antonio TX.
- SCWC brings it's Extreme camp to help victims of the deadly Joplin tornado.
- RISE Jr High Work Camp is created and added to the summer tour. It is attended by 50 Jr High Volunteers in San Antonio TX.
- JaiMichael takes part in the RISE camp as a Jr high camper
2013 - SHINE has it's first Spring Break camp & adds a talent show to the summer camps
- A SHINE Spring Break Camp is in the works as an alternative spring break to High School students. This will take place in Galveston TX.
- Allysa takes part in her first RISE Jr. High Camp
- SHINE substitutes the Friday night concerts for it's SHINE's Got Talent Show and it's a huge success!
- SCWC serves Chicago IL, Memphis TN, Detroit MI, Rochester NY, Joplin MO & San Antonio TX
2014 - SHINE takes it's extreme camp to Moore OK to help those affected by the deadly tornadoes.
- SCWC serves Twin Cittis MN, Detroit MI, Moore OK, Rochester NY & San Antonio TX.
- SHINE helps out in Moore OK for 2 weeks to help those still affected from the deadly tornadoes.
2015 - SHINE Catholic Ministries Inc is created as an expansion of the summer camps.
Since that very first camp in the summer of 2000, SHINE has stayed true to it's mission of "putting shoes on the Gospel". It has offered daily mass, Adoration, high energy praise and worship, great service projects, fun and games, delicious homestyle meals, fun and helpful staff members, awesome multimedia presentations, nightly youth group prayer, skits by the "God Squad" and a Friday Night Concert every summer. Talent show added in 2013
The ministry of SHINE has not and will never be about the Leal family. It has and will always be about serving God and serving others. It is not like any other camp out there and will never become a "mega camp" where no one knows your name. The Leals are all about family and are always looking at ways to make those who come feel like family. As they continue to share SHINE with everyone around the U.S. SHINE will always be about being the hands and feet of Christ!